Monday, August 3, 2015

I Spoke On Behalf of the President of the United States

No, the above title is not hyperbole, but perhaps requires an explanation.  I recently narrated a military retirement ceremony during which the retiree received a letter from the President of the United States, Mr. Barack Obama.  As narrator, I had the honor and privilege to read the letter to the recipient aloud before the audience.  As I read, I found myself focused on the pronouns, “I” and “you” and became imminently aware that I was, in fact, speaking for the President, using his words, to convey his personal gratitude toward the retiree.  Pretty cool, you may think?  It made me sweat.  I realized I was specifically authorized at that moment to be a messenger for the most powerful man in the country, for the most powerful country in the world. 


Now, in hindsight, perhaps I had put too much thought into the occasion.  My reaction nevertheless occurred and it had a lasting effect on me the rest of the day.   I also realized I felt a bit of guilt.  Why?  I wondered how it could be that I did not feel the same way when I read the Word of God aloud before others.  The letter I read at the retirement ceremony will decay and fall to pieces as it ages, was written by a mortal man that will one day return to the dust, and represented a nation that will also one day go the way of all the other ancient civilizations in the manner of ruins and artifacts.  If I am moved by being a messenger for such temporal things, how much more should I feel reverence and awe when I read aloud before others the very words of the Creator who made the heavens and the Earth?  May we all read God's Word with the seriousness and weight it deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment